15 June 2009

Excellent Song, Excellent Video, Excellent Musician (and all-around cool guy)

So last Sunday I saw Kevin Devine & The Goddamn Band at the Music Hall of Williamsburg. Kevin is an old friend both from the Staten Island music "scene" and also from my college (we both attended Fordham University @ Lincoln Center)! While I can't say we were the best of friends, we ARE friends and he's always been one of my favourite people, very funny, sweet & just plain cool to hang out with. And he's TALENTED!

I went to many of his shows back in the college days (one that was at the Rose Hill campus along with Atom & His Package!) when he fronted a band called the Miracle of '86 (yes, he's a Mets fan, more proof of his awesomeness). Nowadays, though, he plays much bigger shows with a ton of fans. It was such a cool thing to see a shit-load of people screaming and cheering and singing along to someone I've known (and adored) for over 10 years!

This show was the last night in a tour to promote his new album Brother's Blood, which is incredible (and I'm not just saying that). I've listened to it a lot since I bought it. The title song is particularly beautiful.

Here are some pictures from the show, I really hope you'll try out his stuff, I don't think you'll regret it!

Yeah...almost like proud mother...haha



He's a cutie-pie as well!




I love when rock bands utilise the trumpet!!! :)


Also really cool was the guest appearance of another long-time Staten Island pal, Russell Smith on guitar!! He used to play with them a lot but wasn't on the tour. But since this show was in NYC, Russ was able to join them for a few songs! Yay!


I had a great time at the show and left with a new t-shirt, poster and CD. Can't wait for the next show!

Let me leave you with this FANTASTIC video for this FANTASTIC song from Brother's Blood, "I Could Be With Anyone"! Enjoy!





The End.

3 comments:

Paul Kersey said...

hi, that Kevin Devine link is bad

WanderingSteve said...

@Michael: just delete the blog part of that address and it works (It should be http://www.myspace.com/kevindevine )

Like the video with its entertaining subtitles! ^_^ I don't normally go for male vocalists, especially in the indie/folk category, but I enjoyed "I could be with anyone".

I checked out the other songs on his myspace page, and I'm pretty impressed! He'll be playing in my area August 11th, so I'll have to be sure to check him out. Always nice to find new music...thanks for the recommendation! ^_^

Jennifer Juniper said...

Yay!!! Kevin ROCKS!! :) :) (I'll fix my link, too!)